GREEN COMPUTING – Part 3
According Murugesan (2012) green software is software that is environmentally friendly green help improve the environment. Green software can be classified into four categories:
1. Software green-consuming less energy to run
2. Embedded software help matters that will be environmentally friendly (smart operations),
3. Software sustainability reporting, or carbon management software (CMS)
4. Software for understanding climate change, assess the implications and establish the appropriate policy response
Applying Green Computing for Daily Life
The filed of green computing has been influenced a range of subject from the study of advance material to a new technology product, system and technique that be use in nowdays. All of the subject that influenced by green computing also influenced directly or indirectly on our daily life and this is the reasons why, we are as human are important to understand and know about the environment on green computing side. Green technology focuses on reducing the environmental impact of industrial processes and innovative technologies caused by the Earth’s growing population. The industrial field absolutely need change over in green concept beacuse industrial process include a lot things that consume high of energy. With green computing, it’s means creating fully recyclable products, reducing pollution, proposing alternative technologies in various fields, and creating a center of economic activity around technologies that benefit the environment.
The number of computing manufactured today in worldwide scale has a huge impact environment issues, and scientists are conducting numerous studies in order to reduce the negative impact of computing technology on our natural resources.Organization and Government offering take-back recycling programs and other solutions, with lower energy consumption and less wasted hardware. Both of them has made a medium to us for acquaint and support about green computing, that is essential to run the program and solution have made by them.
With a lot of advantages of green computing in human life, it should be apply in human life. Talking about applying green computing in human life, it not just about what result what would be get, but it’s more than that. Trends, environment, research result, energy problem is some issues that influenced organization and goverment to do some change over to respond the issues. The organization and government directly or indirectly encourage the people and employee to follow the new rules or new change for what organization and goverment had taken.
As a human we also must aware about what the organization and goverment try to apply in this case is green computing. People must consider to accept what they have offered for more better resources consumption and take care for our place to live. Beside of what we get of the organization and goverment program, we need to be active to campaign and apply green computing in our daily life.
Here are some tips that we can take to do green computing in our daily life, as follow:
1. Computer or Laptop
• Put laptops in “sleep” mode when not in use
• Turn off the computer or other devices if you not use it
• Take off the devices charger after the battery has fulled.
• Use the LCD monitor than CRT, because more energy efficient
• Consider a smaller monitor
• Reuse and responsibly recycle computer equipment
• Use cloud green computing to save your data
2. Other electronic devices
• Unplug the electronics if not in use.
• Careful in buying the device , make sure it passes energy saving and environment
• Consider EPEAT gold-rated equipment
• At home, keep your printer turned off and turn on only when needed
• Reconsider to printing
• Use recycled paper for printing
• Print in draft mode to save ink/toner
• Print double-sided and/or two-up
• Print only final copies
• Use e-mail to replace fax and document circulation
• Use scrap paper to print draft documents
Murugesan, S. (2012). Harnessing Green IT: Principle and Practise.
Vivek Yadav, R. P. (2014). Study of Future uses of Green Computing. Internatiolnal Journal of Engineering and Research Management.