Convergence is the unification of various communication and information technology and services. The term media convergence extends beyond just the merging of technological devices. Previously there was a separation between industry and industry, application by application. With the process of industry changes that combinemarkets and products to meet various consumer needs, this is called convergence, which causes changes in the provision, distribution and processing of all forms of information, both visual, audio and so on. So it can be said that Convergence is digitalization because all forms of information are converted from digital formats so that convergence leads to the creation of products capable of performing both audiovisual and computational functions. So that convergence combines massive conventional telecommunications technology with interactive computer technology.
In this definition, media convergence can change the relationship between technology, industry, and lifestyle because media convergence is heavily dependent on consumers’ active participation, so it changes the pattern of relations between production and consumption and convergence provides new opportunities for the public to expand the choice of media access accordingly their taste.Convergence Culture Action Plan :
- Communication: Social media is defined by the ability to facilitate dialogue between users.
Media convergence makes it easier than ever for businesses to facilitate dialogue between the consumers and producers of content.
- Commitment: Media convergence provides opportunities for customers to take part in the narrative of your brand. Therefore, it is important to consider how every individual associated with your product, both internal employees and external customers, are familiar with and committed to your goals. The importance of audience research may help you determine the level of commitment from each sector.
- Cooperation: Convergence requires multiple industries to work together in order to fulfill new audience expectations.
- Compensation: Though not a factor that many communication strategists consider immediately, compensation is a growing concern for individuals in a convergence culture.
Access, devices and production costs are all decreasing, yet social media brings greater transparency than ever before regarding compensation and profit margins.
- Culture : convergence is never just a technological process but is implicated in and expressed as profound and ongoing social, cultural and economic change.
- Competition: The Internet has made virtually everyone with a connection your competitor, as every market now has national and global competition.
- Customer: customers are central to the principles of convergence. Empower the customers and keep them at the center of every decision that you make.
- Strategic Social Media: From Marketing to Social Change, First Edition. L. Meghan Mahoney and Tang Tang. John Wiley & Sons, 2017