DATABASE DESIGN FOR ONLINE LEARNING (CASE STUDY PT. FRANCHISE ACADEMY INDONESIA)
The use of data is now very much needed in the modern world. Data could help one to achieve better results than others. In the recent years, the game has been relatively changed. From infrastructure development competition between parties, to this new sort of data collection called information system development. Market leader candidates tend to be more serious about data gathering than ever. Because whoever could manage to gather as many data as possible, and also could analyzed and mined as many information from it, it is considered for them as the so called profitable success.
In today’s world – the ﬂow of information especially digital information has become the critical ingredient for success in any activity. That is why; the period we live in is often referred as an information age(Fazal, 2008).
In order to support the whole business process of the company called PT. Franchise Academy Indonesia, it is needed for the company to have an efficiently and effectively organized information system. This information system reorganizing is considered important because this new subsidiary of PT. IFBM (International Franchise Business Management) does not have the efficiency and effectiveness in the currently implemented information system yet. This information could be collected because of the involvement experience as interns.
By selecting this as the final project topic, we would like to offer the company a better information system implementation, an information system which could possibly be considered as a more efficient and effective solution for the company to use to perform the business process.
The Scopes of our final project are:
- Information analysis and design of Franchise Academy Indonesia limited to reorganizing the flow of data happened in the business process.
- Re-developing Franchise Academy Indonesia’s website using wordpress.com as third party website builder tool.
- Research is conducted to find the best suited DBMS for the company based on the reliability and affordability aspects.
- The data sources used are the data obtained from Franchise Academy Indonesia as the subsidiary of PT. IFBM (International Franchise Business Management).
3. Objectives and Benefits
The objectives of our study are:
- To analyze and design the information system inside Franchise Academy Indonesia.
- To design an information system for the company based on the knowledge obtained in the university.
The benefits of our study are:
- For Franchise Academy Indonesia, the benefits are an organized information system design to reduce unwanted situation regarding database management.
- For the designated customers, we provide a convenient and reliable website which helps the customers to understand and interested on what Franchise Academy Indonesia providing based on the HCI (Human Computer Interaction) materials learned in the university.
4. Research Methodology
To be able to analyze the existing problems in the Franchise Academy Indonesia and propose proper solutions, we use several research methods including:
- Object of Research
- The database of Franchise Academy Indonesia.
- The database of PT. FAI (Franchise Academy Indonesia).
- Consumer needs for educational type of business.
- Research Methods
- Database System Development Lifecycle
Method used to develop of the system is Database System Development Lifecycle based on Connolly and Beggbook, Database Systems 5th Edition: A Practical Approach to Design, Implementation, and Management.
The database system development lifecycle is inherently associated with the life cycle of the information system. It is important to recognize that the stages of the database system development lifecycle are not strictly sequential, but involve some amount of repetition of previous stages through feedback loops. For example, problems encountered during database design may necessitate additional requirements collection and analysis (Connolly & Begg, Database Systems 5th Edition: A Practical Approach to Design, Implementation, and Management, 2010).
Requirement collection analysis techniques consist of fact-finding techniques. Methodologies of fact finding techniques that are going to be used are as follows:
– Examining documentation
By examining forms, reports, and files associated with the current system we can gain some understanding of the current system.
– Observing the enterprise in operation
With this technique, it is possible to watch a person perform activities to learn about the existing system